Duaringa - Our second free stopover
Wow this place is awesome. Great grounds and so many other campers. All free. Sitting back with a beer, twisties and the laptop catching up on emails. Stories below:
- Planned for an early start, but after seeing the fog we decided to wait a bit.
- Fog was amazing (see photo above)
- Left Eidsvold/Ceratodus with 3 1/4 tank.
- Had another chat to Wendy/Doug about which way they're going and which way we're going. They're off to check out the gorge 40k's up the road (which we're going to miss on this trip) but looked promising for a follow up trip.
- Bfast was a double decker egg in the hole (mushrooms, tomato, cheese, egg, two bits of bread, omnomnomnom).
- Fog cleared around 9am
- Packed up our stuff and left at 10am
- Saw our first roo's on the side of the road (alive, jumping ones)
- Clear day so we left the fridge on 12v and the solar panels did a great job keeping our stuff cold on the drive (a bit too cold!)
- Great drive, roads a bit more bumpy.
- Stopped at Biloela for lunch. The grounds at the old heritage park historical Silo (and the info centre) are great stop. Electric BBQ's and new undercover table/chair areas. West of town you can see it from the main road. Biloela is a big place - looks great to stay over or stop into. Few takeaway places and bigger shops.
- Had a nice hour long lunch break, made salad sammiches out on the grass and boiled a kettle for a cuppa tea. Even got out the laptop to answer some work emails.
- Hayley had her first drive towing the van, did great! Even with a semi trailer overtaking her.
- We started to get a bit worried when our tank was under 1/4 full and we were still 70k's from a petrol station. Made it fine though, tank on empty but no emergency light on yet. Ended up doing about 430k's on the full tank (our first real test on tank capacity) so now we know many k's to plan between fill ups.
- Settled in at the free stopover in Duaringa. About 20 other vans/busses dotted through the grounds. Few fires going here and there. Great spot highly recommended. Couple of free showers too - at a "free" standard but can't complain.
Day Number: 9
Free stopover on the A4 on the way inland from Rocky to Emerald. Great spot, lots of others around. Plenty of places to setup.
View Larger Map
- BP station a few hundred meters down the road
- Nice free grounds
- Dump spot
- Free hot showers
Dumb thing we did today
- Forgot to fill up the tank - not knowing how far until the next station - just made it.
- Dave hit his head 4 times in the van with the roof down while getting stuff to make lunch.
- Dave burnt his double decker egg in the hole because he was taking a photo of it.
Travel Map from Previous Location
- ODO Start of today: 140,862
- Distance: 314km
- Time: 5hrs 30mins (inc. 1hr lunch)
- Average Speed: 75km/h
- Petrol: Filled up with 80L - Duaringa @ $1.56p/L = $125